POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Tesselation process : Re: Tesselation process Server Time
6 Aug 2024 23:27:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Tesselation process
From: Jérôme Grimbert
Date: 19 Feb 2002 07:43:57
Message: <3C7248A9.A515605B@atosorigin.com>
"Rick [Kitty5]" wrote:
> have you considered assigning standard pov objects (eg sphere) a pre defined
> mesh, marching for all non regular objects (such as blobs) then deal with
> csg

Sorry to sound offensive but:
<Irony on>
 Please do the same for UV-Mapping first,
then I will slaveshly copy your solution to perform tesselation.
Afterall, UV mapping is present in megapov since so much time...
<Irony off>
Just think about both problem, they are very similar.

To reassure you, I should post soon a tesselation of a sphere in p.b.i.
(Low resolution of tessel, unsmoothed mesh). How many slice do you want ?
Do you have any other fetish object that you (or someone else) would like
to see tesselated ? (you provide the code or the pointer to it !)

P.S.: To really answer your question, Yes I did, and I consider it was
not forth it (adding pre-tesselated primitive) as long as the marching
variant were able to provide a good result. And most mesh are not simple
primitive anyway. With the marching approach, I have a hammer, so everything
is going to be a nail !
(But I have different hammers (6), not just one big universal one...)
--
Non Sine Numine
http://grimbert.cjb.net/